Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Rescued from the Rag Bag!

Reaching back one more generation. Grandma Henry embroidered these state bird and flower blocks from the 40's. When cut apart, they were different sizes. Totally an annoyance to her, so she disgustedly plopped them in a drawer. Fast forward 60 years... and S, it's your turn to take up the story.



So years later S and Grandma A were cleaning out the half finished projects. This lovely quilt was destined for the rag bag. The strips of embroidery were inches from tossing the rag bag, but I saved them in all their embroidered beauty.  It wasn't until I cut all the squares apart that I realized that Grandma Henry never measured anything in her life, nothing was square, nothing was the same size so I threw the birds in a candy tin and there they sat for 10 more  years.

Finally I saw a picture of a wonky log cabin. I realized I could put borders on the squares the borders didn't have to be the same size.

There you have it one of our longer half finished projects done. Production time 72 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment