Tuesday, November 12, 2013

My First Quilt

This is the story of my first quilt project. Yes, the first quilt I ever finished.

I started it in high school as a home ec project(incidentently it got a bad grade because I never finished the quilt). I started out planning a baby quilt because it would be faster. Then I thought, "Bigger is better." The finished size ended up a small queen but it took a lot longer than the couple months in home ec.

It spent months on my Grams T's dinning room floor. The great uncles all offered color advice during the long process of cutting squares. Much to the surprise of everyone I finished the quilt in just five short years (well maybe six and with tons of help from the other S's).

Do you remember your first quilt?  Small? Big? Had real issues piecing it? Happy memories of the first quilt or did you just want to toss it in the trash?

I ended up loving it. And promised never to do a pattern with triangles again. Ten years later, it still graces my bed in all its aging beauty.




One of the porpoise blocks


A fishy border

No comments:

Post a Comment