Saturday, November 22, 2014

Hands and More Hands

Your little boy is now 6'6" and his hands can palm a basketball. Remember back when those tiny hands were dwarfed by yours? This quilt remembers as well.

Almost done -- just needs the binding stitched down

A friend had a stack of 49-8" hand blocks from an online mommies' club. She asked if I could make them into a quilt.

"What size?"
"Not too big."


It could have been 7 x 7, but square quilts and rectangular beds aren't always a great fit. If I made it 6 x 8, I've have to leave a block out so opted to add some filler blocks. The filler blocks and the mommies' group blocks were arranged 7 x 8 grid, stripped with a dark blue batik.

Then I visited. My friend pointed to a blank spot on the wall as the future home for the quilt. It didn't take much spatial ability to see that my definition of not too big and that spot on the wall were dramatically different. Even a 7 x 7 grid pieced directly together would overwhelm the area.

So I thought a while, took the first quilt apart, bagged the squares and thought some more...and more. About 12 year later (yes, that little guy from the mommy group is off to college), I had a brain storm. How about a 5 x 5 reversible wall hanging. I could do that. Here's how it looks:

Quilt front (and fuzzy dotted jammie pants)
Quilt back

No comments:

Post a Comment